Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Neon Indian ; Band of the Week July 30th - August 5th

Hey. I know. It's not the 30th. It's the 1st. You'd be late updating your blog too if you were consistently job searching and shitting yourself every time you try and get anywhere on the multiple freeways of doom around here. San Diego, you will either make or break me.

What's this psychedelic color-fest that you're viewing? A few synthesizers, echoing bass, and hypnotic vocals? This is none other than Neon Indian, lot. One of my favorite bands and .rapt's Band of the Week!

I think I discovered this lone soul in the Fall of 2011. His latest record had dropped and I happened to come across it sporadically on iTunes. My ears were pleased. This is exactly the type of music that I pine for 90% of the time.... Unique, weird, and drenched in reminiscent 80's sound. You can't get much more awesome than that! Neon Indian was one of the sets that I made sure to catch at Coachella 2012, and I wasn't disappointed.
Originating from Mexico and later relocating to Texas, founder and composer Alan Palomo began realizing his musical calling during his teenaged years. Debut album Psychic Chasms was released October 13th, 2009, which hit the right note with highly acclaimed Pitchfork Media, among many others. In September 2011, Era Extrana was let loose, doing it's job in reeling me in like a cod. Currently at the ripe age of 23 and with 2 successful records on the rise, Palomo represents the notion that the youth of today can acheieve anything; standing strong in premise creativity. 
Palomo does all of his own work, but accompanying him on his live ventures are band members  Leanne Macomber (Keyboard, Vocals), Jason Faries (drums), and Lars Larsen (Live Visuals). Together they've played at dozens of music festivals including SXSW, Coachella, Sasquatch!, and upcoming Lollapalooza 2012 and have performed on NBC's Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. This Texan kid is moving up in the world fast and I plan to remain loyal to his extravagant display of synthpop for as long as my heart holds out.
If you're looking for something new to listen to, maybe something to inspire you to dig deeper into your psyche, look no further than Palomo's Neon Indian. Era Extrana is my favorite record, I love the way it makes me feel...Like I'm floating off of this smog-infested planet into a world much greater and colorful. Best track by me: Halogen (I could be a Shadow)....It's pleasant, while also enigmatic. Don't you love my descriptive words today?

All big phrases considered, check Neon Indian out, lot! If you've been clueless to this band before now, then consider this my gift to you for the month of August.

WEBSITE
TOUR DATES

No comments:

Post a Comment